Last Published 4/30/13
TIPS FOR TAKING THE PLACEMENT TEST
- Relax! The test is designed to help you to succeed in school. Your score helps you and your advisor determine which courses are most appropriate for your current level of knowledge and skills. Once your academic strengths and needs are identified, you can get the help you need to improve underdeveloped skills.
- You will be able to concentrate on the test if you get plenty of rest and eat properly before the test.
- Arrive a few minutes early so you can find the testing area, bathrooms, etc.
- The essay part of the test has a one hour time limit. The multiple choice part of the test is adaptive and un-timed. The multiple choice questions are chosen for you on the basis of your answers to previous questions. Because the test works this way, you must answer every question when it is first given. You cannot omit any question or go back to change an answer. Once you have hit the "enter" key, your answer is accepted and you cannot return to the question.
- If you do not know the answer to a question, try to eliminate one or more of the choices. Make the best-educated choice from one of the remaining answers.
You will need to bring the following with you:
- Placement Test Confirmation (You will print the confirmation after you make your appointment online)
- Government issued Photo ID ( for example a drivers license or U.S. passport). Please note a high school photo ID will only be accepted with a birth certificate. Students WILL NOT be permitted to take the test without approved photo ID.