Immediate: March 26, 2010
Media Contact: Alicia Steger 516.572.9634
Nassau Community College Makes Young Women’s Dreams Come True at the “Prom Boutique”
Garden City, NY - This spring Nassau Community College will once again host the “Prom Boutique,” a program in which individuals and businesses donate new or gently used prom and bridesmaid dresses for distribution to deserving young women. The Long Island Volunteer Center co-sponsors the Prom Boutique with the college.
This is Nassau's sixth year hosting the boutique. The Prom Boutique is a college-wide initiative that provides students real world experience in the areas of retailing, visual merchandising, fashion buying, event planning, and marketing and public relations. The event also teaches students the importance of social responsibility in marketing. Students, faculty and staff from all areas of the college come to help setup and run the boutique. It's an event that people look forward to participating in year after year.
The following drop-off sites are available on Sunday, April 11 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. (except where indicated) to collect donations of new and gently used dressy dresses, prom gowns, bridesmaid gowns, special occasion shoes, handbags, costume jewelry and accessories. The sites are:
- Concierge Desk, Americana at Manhasset, Northern Boulevard, Manhasset
- Junior League of Long Island Thrift Shop, 1395 Old Northern Blvd., Roslyn
- Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Catholic Church, 53 Prospect Road, Centerport
- St. Frances de Chantal Catholic Church (Smulski Room), 1309 Wantagh Ave., Wantagh
- St. John's Episcopal Church, 1670 Route 25A, Cold Spring Harbor
- St. Mark's United Methodist Church (parlor), 200 Hempstead Ave., Rockville Centre
- St. Paul's Lutheran Church (back doors), 309 Patchogue Road, Port Jefferson Station
- Westy Self-Storage, 2400 Marcus Avenue, Lake Success
- YES Community Counseling Center, 75 Grand Ave., Massapequa, (between Hicksville Rd. and Central Ave.) will be collecting on Sunday, April 11 from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
In addition, Bloomingdale's at Roosevelt Field, Dress Department, Upper Level, will be collecting Saturday, April 10 from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
All donations will be distributed to invited guests only at an event called the Prom Boutique, which will be held at Nassau Community College in late April. Individuals recommended by high school counselors, at-risk youth programs, group homes and church outreach programs are invited to the Prom Boutique. Nearly 1,000 young women from different schools and organizations across Long Island benefit from this program each year.
All donations are tax deductible to the extent provided by law. Receipts for contributions will be available at the drop-off sites.
For more information about donating to the Prom Boutique, please call the NCC Marketing Department at 516.572.7587.