How to Obtain Services at the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD):
If you have a disability and want to attend Nassau Community College, please do the following:
Fill out the College’s admissions application and follow all of the instructions. All students must meet College admissions criteria. Download the NCC Admissions Guide and Application
TO REQUEST ACCOMMODATIONS FOR THE PLACEMENT TEST:
In order to receive accommodations for the placement test it is your responsibility to fill out the Accommodations Request form (click on blue link) and send your documentation of disability to the Disability Services Coordinator, Professor Jeff Frankel.
- Learning Disability (LD) - Documentation must include Aptitude Test scores, including Subtest scores, administered within the previous three years. The Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale is the preferred aptitude test. The Kaufman Brief Intelligence Test is not accepted. Documentation must also include Achievement Test scores, administered within the previous three years. The Woodcock-Johnson Test of Achievement is preferred. Woodcock-Johnson Cognitive scores are helpful, but not required.
- Other Health Impaired (OHI) - OHI covers a range of disabilities, including ADD, ADHD, Autism Spectrum and more. The specific disability within OHI must be identified. Documentation must come from the professional who diagnosed the disability, usually a licensed psychologist or medical doctor and it must be diagnosed or reconfirmed within the previous three years. The IEP does not meet this requirement.
- Emotional Disability - The disability must be identified with the specific DSM IV diagnosis made by a licensed medical doctor, psychologist or other qualified health professional. The disability must be diagnosed or reconfirmed within the previous three years.
- Hearing Disability - Documentation must be provided by a licensed otolaryngologist, otologist or audiologist and include an audiogram completed within the previous three years.
- Visual Disability - Documentation must be provided by a licensed ophthalmologist, optometrist or reconfirmed within the previous three years.
- Physical Disability - Documentation must be provided by a licensed medical doctor or other qualified health professional. The disability must be diagnosed or reconfirmed within the previous three years.
In accordance with federal legislation, Nassau Community College provides students with disabilities the opportunity to achieve equal access by providing a range of accommodations. All requests for accommodations are reviewed and specific accommodations are deemed appropriate for the post-secondary level based on the documentation provided.
The types of accommodations for placement testing provided by NCC may include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Assistance with computer if disability impedes use of technology
- American Sign Language interpreter
- Time and a half for the essay
- Enlarged computer screen - for visually impaired students
**all incoming NCC students are entitled to use a calculator for the math portion and computer for the essay portion of the placement test.
You will be notified of the accommodations you are entitled to for the placement test by mail in a timely fashion. You must bring this accommodation letter with you to the placement test.
You will also receive your NCC ID (N00...) number in the mail along with instructions to access your email. You must access your NCC email to receive notification regarding the placement exam. Follow the instructions to make your online appointment.
If you are entitled to extended time only, present the CSD accommodation letter to the Placement Center Staff prior to taking the exam along with the placement testing appointment ticket.
When you take the placement test at CSD you must:
- arrive promptly
- bring government issued photo ID (i.e. Driver's License)
- bring accommodation approval letter sent by CSD
- bring the placement testing appointment ticket
- bring calculator
- bring appropriate writing tools