Last Published 11/17/15
Departmental Requirements and Guidelines
- A minimum grade of "C" is required in all Allied Health Science courses.
- The Department of Allied Health Sciences recognizes the professional codes of ethics, sensitivity to patient and community needs, ability to work with and relate to peers and other members of the health care team, attitude, attendance, punctuality and appearance. Program directors may, upon the recommendation of clinical and academic faculty, recommend that the Department terminate any student who fails to correct deficiencies in any of these areas. These standards have been established in order to protect the rights of the patients and communities that we are committed to serve and to foster the team concept of health care delivery.
- Allied Health Sciences students are required to carry malpractice insurance.
- Allied Health Sciences students are annually required to submit completed health forms prior to enrollment.
- Allied Health Sciences students are required to supply their own transportation to clinical settings.
- Allied Health Sciences students must supply their own required uniforms.
- Allied Health Sciences students shall submit to the College a copy of their current certification of competency in Basic Life Support according to American Heart Association standards, prior to graduation.
- No courses in the Department of Allied Health Sciences may be audited, with the exception of AHS 131-132 if approved by the Chairperson.
- Smoking, eating, drinking and applying cosmetics is NOT permitted in the laboratory.
- No bare feet or sandals are permitted in the laboratory.
- All materials, including microscope slides, used during the lab are to be properly RETURNED to the designated trays/boxes after use.
- All microscopes should be stored in their cabinets, CLEANED and on LOW power, with their cords wrapped properly.
- All models must be RETURNED after use to the carts or side tables at the FRONT of the lab.
- Immediately notify the lab instructor if any injury occurs, no matter how slight.
- Specific safety instructions pertaining to each lab will be posted or announced when appropriate. It is your responsibility to seek these out and read them before beginning work.
- Become aware of all fire exits, fire extinguishers, fire blankets, eye washes and other safety equipment in the room.
- Keep all lab tables and aisles free of clutter; ONLY lab models, equipment, lab
- manuals and lab notebooks are permitted on the lab tables.
- All coats, bookbags, and extraneous books are to be placed on the coat racks at the back of the room or on the radiators adjacent to the windows at the REAR of each lab.
- Students are forbidden to access any models themselves from the cabinets.
- Lab tables should be left clean at the end of the lab. Wash your hands before leaving the lab.
- Students are forbidden at any time to enter the lab storage areas at the back
- of the lab.
- Models are not permitted on the rear radiators which are reserved for student belongings.
- No students are permitted into the labs until an instructor is present.